Thursday, March 3, 2011

"Just Do the Fun Parts" - 2

What are the 'fun parts'? This obviously varies from person to person, so while I answer only for myself, I challenge readers to post their own responses. Sometimes we find surprises.

If shopping wasn't a MAJOR fun part, I'd have a lot more money in the bank and more room in my studio! I enjoy hand sewing when I can sit comfortably and listen to NPR. Though I must admit sewing on sleeves, labels, and bindings or facings are not fun because, by then, I'm ready to be done!

The part which both propels the whole project and causes the most anxiety, is choosing and combining fabrics. When I see fabric which inspires my creativity, may even be the basis for the design, the wheels are set in motion. Sometimes things work well and smoothly, other times, my idea seems to stay shrouded in mist and the fabric isn't quite right. It may take a long time to figure out what is 'wrong' and what it will take to fix it. Many projects have spent months on my design wall waiting for a solution. I can go from intense excitement to intense frustration very quickly. Hence, multiple projects are necessary, and variety of projects may actually help. If I have one project in the initial design phase, another having color or patterns being considered and a third or fourth at stages where routine sewing can be done, it allows me to go back and forth and make better use of my time. Some of the best ideas occur when I'm in the middle of something else and my subconscious has time to work on it.

The improvisational aspect of art quilts is fun for me. Not knowing for sure where it's going next keeps me interested. When I was doing garment sewing , I found 'surprises' were not usually good. With art quilts, surprises often 'make' the piece or give me an idea for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment